Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Sandra Kurzban’s Reading

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/interior-semiotics

1. How would you feel and what would you do if your performance piece became an Internet meme?

- Well I am not exactly sure, it would depend if it were passed on with a negative critique of the content or positive and what I the artist intended. A positive and artist intention attached to it when becoming an internet meme would be fine by me because it is just another way of putting yourself out there in the media as an artist and creating a reputation for yourself.

2. People have created re-mixes of this performance, as well as images--most if not all a parody of this piece. As you view this article, do those images change how you regard the initial experience of the performance? Do they inform the work, or do they dismantle it?

3. If you just witnessed a performance piece that you do not understand or do not enjoy, would you applaud? Does the level of guts it takes to do a performance {like doing anything of a socially unacceptable nature} play into it? If so, why should it?

- I always applaud anyone that can get up there and subject there own body as their medium in front of an audience. That being said though, I may not always be applauding to the content, but for the guts it took to do it in the first place. I would expect to critique the work and determine how many out of the audience understood the reason for the performance and then pass it or fail it. I think the immediate applaud following after the performance good or bad is just standard and placed there in order to recognize the balls it takes to get up and perform in front of a large group of strangers. It is much more kind to applaud rather then to boo or subject the artist to more public humiliations.

4. So! Apparently you're a hipster! Are you going to try and prove them wrong or will you resign to the definition this anonymous society has given you?

5. Does this make you any more or less apprehensive about putting your work online?

- I am always weary to putting my work online in case it should be stolen or vandalized online. I would copyright and/or watermark proof work posted to protect my creative being.

6. Can an artist recover his or her respect from this kind of publicity with time? Do you think it matters in the art world?

- Sometime there is no point of return and the ones who make it out alive usually spend a long time laying work down to build themselves back up again. I do believe to a large part of the art world would judge based on certain amount of things that previously might have weighted against the artist and they take advantage of it but there are few in the business of art that really benefit.

7. Do I seem to be consciously careful not to gain that sort of attention from the audience that views my work?

8. What does my choice of this article tell you about my work or me?

- You care what people think about you and your work. As an artist I personally believe you should be conscious of what you put out there in the public’s eye and take social responsibility for it too.

No comments: